Vice President Joe Biden spoke with a woman at a campaign event Tuesday in Sarasota, Fla., telling her that discrimination against transgender people is the “civil rights issue of our time.”
The woman, Linda Carragher Bourne, said something inaudible to the Vice President, to which Biden responded with the words, “civil rights issue of our time,” according to a pool report. Bourne later told reports that her daughter was Miss Trans New England and she had asked if the Vice President would help.
“A lot of my friends are being killed, and they don’t have the civil rights yet. These guys are gonna make it happen,” Bourne told the pool about the Democratic ticket.
Vice President Biden has shown a track record of speaking his mind on LGBT issues. He said he was “absolutely comfortable” with marriage equality in May, three days before President Barack Obama announced his personal support. The Vice President’s statement is widely acknowledged to have moved up the President’s timeline.
Last August, Vice President Biden met with a group of LGBT advocates in Provincetown, Mass. and said they were “freeing the souls of the American people,” while he credited them with advancing the “civil rights of every straight American.”
Biden is a pretty quality guy, gosh.
Did you know he’s one of the youngest people to become a senator?? They actually adjusted the election law because he ran when he wasn’t old enough but would be old enough when elected and he still got elected!!
also according to my dad he’s one of the funnest senators
This is where she, out of nowhere, starts complaining about ~*~SJWs~*~ and how ~*~ridiculous~*~ they are. And then she dismisses the concerns of trans* people by comparing them to “the one-armed, gay iguana demographic,” which is shitty both because she’s dismissing legitimate complaints and because it demonstrates that she doesn’t really understand not being an enormous douche as anything other than catering to niche demographics.
Then she uses the “it’s just a joke” defense, as well as “if you don’t like it you can leave,” displaying a depressing lack of self-awareness about the magnitude of her audience and the fact that she is a role model because of that, whether she’s here to be one or not, and the fact that some jokes are both not funny and reflect a problematic and bigoted worldview!
This is where she comes into the inbox of someone who’s been offering critique of her posts in reblogs (not personally engaging with her at all!) and tells them they’re ridiculous. Note how she doesn’t offer any kind of substantial rebuttal.
This is a report, which I unfortunately cannot verify, of her “liking” the posts of people who are calling her out. Might indicate sincere appreciation, might be a passive-aggressive intimidation tactic to let them know she’s watching. Could go either way.
This is the one where she says that when she said “normal people” above, she didn’t mean “cis people.” It doesn’t actually make it any better, though, because then her statement becomes “It wouldn’t be fair to all the people who mindlessly worship everything I say without critically engaging with it for me to stop clowning around.”
has informed me that she lives in Hartford, CT.
If there is anyone in the area who would be willing to help, please contact me and I will get you in touch with her.
I’m not exactly sure about the legal specifics of hosting a minor in CT. Please check that out if you wish to help.
She does not feel safe and obviously has nowhere else to go.
Friends, please boost this so as many eyes as possible see it.
please signal boost this.
Signal boost this everywhere. She needs a safe place to live.
- It’s not “cisgendered” or “transgendered”. It’s cisgender and transgender.
- Cis and trans are fine to shorten.
- Do not refer to someone as transgender or transsexual without prior identification and/or permission.
- Do not use “transgender” or “transsexual” or “genderqueer” or “nonbinary” as nouns without permission.
- Do not EVER use the word tr***y. (This also goes for non-DMAB trans women.)
- It’s not “transpeople” “transwomen” or “trans-women”. It’s “trans women” and “trans people”.
- It is not okay to ask about our genitals, our dysphoria or dissonance, how we “pass”, or the most personal specifics of our gender identities.
- It’s okay to ask pronouns, but check beforehand if this is online.
- Please volunteer YOUR pronouns first if you want the people in the room to be comfortable with volunteering theirs.
- Don’t use any umbrella terms without permission or prior identification.
- Do not EVER out any of us, ever, for ANY reason.
- If we say “x language disincludes us”, take us seriously.
- Stop Invisible T Syndrome: if you include “T” in an acronym, it must be about T things and not anything else.
- If we mock your use of an acronym, it’s for a reason.
- If you need to refer to people with [$foo] chromosomes or organs, use “people with [$foo]”.
- Do not refer to us as female or male without prior identification or permission.
- I don’t care how “complicated” our names, pronouns, gender identities, etc are. Get them right.
- Our names, pronouns, and gender identities might change. Ask us sometimes to make sure.
- Do not always assume we our gender/s are static or expressed the same.
- It is not okay to fetishize us or dismiss us out your dating/sex pool out of hand.
Trans people, if you have more, please add!